Education Tax Refund – What Happened To It?

You can no longer claim the Education Tax Refund (ETR), it has been replaced by the Schoolkids Bonus.

You cannot claim the Education Tax Refund in 2011-2012 tax returns. The Department of Human Services made one-off payments to eligible families in June 2012 in place of the refund they would otherwise have claimed. If you think you are eligible and did not receive a payment contact the Department of Human Services.

From January 1 2013 the Schooldkids Bonus will be paid automatically into the bank accounts of families who are eligible to receive it. The payment will be staggered in two instalments: half in January and the second half in July. You do not need to keep receipts or claim the payment in your tax return.