7 Daily Hacks to Better Tax Refunds – Day 7 (Use a Pro)

By Stephen Burns, CEO Mr Tax Refund.

Use a Registered Tax Agent to Get the Best Refund

Your Professional Tax Consultant can help you in many ways. They can:

  1. Ensure all available deductions are claimed,
  2. Help you pay the least amount of tax possible,
  3. Respond to any ATO enquiries on your behalf,
  4. Take the burden out of tax preparation.

Over 70% of Australians use an ATO Registered Tax Agent to prepare and lodge their tax return. 

It takes years of study to become a Registered Tax Agent, and constant changes in tax laws mean constant ongoing training.

The added bonus about having your tax return prepared by a professional is that the bill is tax deductible, so the money you spend on a tax agent, you will receive back the following financial year.

Recently the ATO have been pushing individuals to use their free E Tax system. Our clients have reported that the process of using E Tax can be frustrating, confusing and often results in a minimal tax refund.

By seeking help from a tax consultant you can save you time and boost your tax refund. They can also help you to put a personal plan in place to reduce your tax year on year and help you build your income and assets.

Use the services of Registered Tax Agents and Advisors who have deep knowledge of tax and are up to speed on the many changes that happen year on year.

Tax professionals will often find tax deductions and offsets you are not aware of resulting in better tax refunds. They will also minimise any mistakes that could hold up your return (and your refund) or even trigger an audit. (Audits are no fun, and can be expensive!)

Want more tips? Check out out our whole Ebook here.

7 Daily Hacks to Better Tax Refunds – Day 5 (Income Protection)

By Stephen Burns, CEO Mr Tax Refund.

If you’re single and earning over $90,000 or over $180,000 as a couple you will be charged the Medicare Levy Surcharge if you don’t have private health insurance. The surcharge can be over $1,000 a year (2% compulsory Medicare Levy plus 1% extra Surcharge).

Instead of paying this money, you could invest in private health insurance. Some health insurance policies cost less than $1,000 per year and this way you know you are privately covered for any unexpected medical issues.


If you are earning under $90,000 as a single or under $180,000 as a couple then the Medicare Levy Surcharge does not apply to you.

Check your Medicare Levy Surcharge rate with the Private Health Insurance Rebate Calculator.

Income Protection Insurance

We constantly hold ourselves accountable to provide for our families and to plan for the unexpected. No matter how hard we try to keep on track by staying out of harm’s way and being healthy there are too many things we can’t control and risks we can’t avoid.

Income Protection Insurance provides you and your family with an income if you get sick or injured. It’s also tax deductible so should put more cash back in your pocket around tax time.

Your tax consultant will be able to help you claim the cost of the premiums you pay against the loss of your income.

×       You can’t claim life insurance, trauma insurance or critical care insurance premiums.

There are a few more things you should know about what you can’t claim on your Income Protection Insurance so it’s best to speak to a professional tax consultant.

Want more tips? Check out out our whole Ebook here.

7 Daily Hacks to Better Tax Refunds – Day 4 (Donate!)

By Stephen Burns, CEO Mr Tax Refund.

If you are passionate about a charity or cause, then the best thing you can do is support them by donating! You automatically feel good from contributing and another great part is that if it is a registered charity, you may be able to claim some of the donation as a tax deduction.

As a general rule, most medical foundations and overseas aid charities are registered, while most churches and building funds are not. Otherwise you can:

  • Ask the Charity directly – they will be able to tell you
  • Check online; visit ACNC (Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission)

The ACNC website has information about over 54,000 charities.

Every donation over $2 to a registered charity is tax deductible and you don’t need a receipt if it’s below $10. If the donation exceeds $10 it’s best to ask for a receipt. If a tax consultant is completing your tax return, you can tell them about which charities you donate to and they can handle it from there.

What you can’t claim.

×       Charity membership fees

×       Raffle tickets

×       Any expenses incurred from attending a charity event

×       Donations to a non-registered charity

×       A donation that results in your getting something of value in return

For a full list of what you can’t claim just contact us.

Want more tips? Check out out our whole Ebook here.

7 Daily Hacks to Better Tax Refunds – Day 3 (Use a Logbook)

By Stephen Burns, CEO Mr Tax Refund.

Do you use your car for work-related purposes?

If you use your car for any work purposes e.g. driving between jobs or locations, you may be able to claim the appropriate expenses as a deduction.

Most people use the cents-per-km method which does not require a logbook. Under this method this tax year you can claim a maximum of 5000km at 66c per km.

You do not need written evidence to show how many kilometres you have travelled, but the tax office may ask you to show how you worked out the kilometres claimed.

If you travel over 5000 km for work purposes (an average of about 96 km a week) then the car logbook method will likely give you a better refund – especially if you have a medium to large vehicle.

  • You need to keep a logbook for 12 weeks in a row.
  • The 12-week logbook covers you for 5 years of claims.
  • It must include all work-related trips and personal trips.
  • Your claim is based on your proportion of business use. That’s the percentage of kilometres you travel in your car for business.

The ATO have created a MyDeductions App that you can download and use throughout the financial year. This means you can log your work-related car trips electronically from your phone! There are also lots of third party Logbook Apps where you can log your travel on your phone using GPS data, and then email that report to yourself or straight to your accountant.

You may prefer to manually write down your work-related trips so we’ve made it easier for you by providing a FREE downloadable log book here. Just print out as many pages as you need.

Want more tips? Check out out our whole Ebook here.


7 Daily Hacks to Better Tax Refunds – Day 2 (EOFY Sales!)

By Stephen Burns CEO Mr Tax Refund.

Tax Time is 7 days away. In an effort to reduce the tax season headache we thought we’d give you some daily short hacks as a countdown to tax refund time.

Hack 2: See if you’ll benefit from the End-of-Financial-Year sales

Ever wonder why companies like Officeworks have end-of-financial-year sales in June? It’s because they know that people ‘stock up’ on stationery and supplies just before June 30 to claim the expense straightaway.

If you’ve had a pay rise during the year, you might have bumped up to a higher tax bracket. A tax bracket is the amount of tax you pay according to your income. The aim would be to claim as many deductions as possible to ensure you drop down into the lower tax bracket, so jumping into the end-of-financial-year sales is a massive YES.

Work out which tax bracket you fall into from the tax table below. This will determine whether or not you should buy or delay before the end of the financial year.

Tax Rates 2015-16 Source: ATO

If your income is higher or the same as last year, you might be better off buying tax deductible supplies as it could move you down into a lower tax bracket.

If your income (and tax) is lower this year and you expect it to increase next year then it’s better to hold off until next year.

It’s important to speak to a tax consultant about which tax bracket you fall into for the year and the effects of purchasing supplies or stationery in the end-of-financial-year sales.

7 Daily Hacks to Better Tax Refunds – Day 1.

By Stephen Burns. CEO Mr Tax Refund.

There are only a few times every year that we get excited about money. A part from opening birthday cards and grabbing a bargain at the Boxing Day sales, the biggest cash time for most of us is during Tax Season.

We are among the highest taxed individuals in the world; in fact, the top marginal tax rate in Australia is now 47%. If you are earning between $37,001 – $80,000 you could be paying up to 32.5%. That’s just under a THIRD of your annual salary.

This is why it’s important to make sure that you’re not paying any more tax than you have to and that you understand what tax deductions are available to you.

Tax Time is 7 days away. In an effort to reduce the tax season headache we thought we’d give you some daily short hacks as a countdown to tax refund time.

HACK 1: Keep ALL Your Receipts

This is our number 1 tip when it comes to maximising your tax refund and minimising the amount of tax you pay. Keep all of your receipts because you never know what you might be able to claim with the help from a tax consultant!

Receipts = Tax Deductions = More $$ Tax Refund


You can only claim deductions for work related expenses. If you’re an Administrative Assistant you can’t claim sunglasses and sunscreen, but if you’re a Roof Tiler you can.

You can only claim deductions incurred while performing your jobIf you are a Warehouse Worker completing a paid training course to become a Chef you can’t claim that deduction. You’ll have to wait until you become a Chef to claim.

You can claim an expense if it’s used for both work and personal use. If you use your mobile phone or internet for both personal and work reasons, you can still claim what you use for work (so keep the bill or receipts!)

Deductions aren’t added to your tax refund, dollar for dollar. They’re taken from your taxable income, which means you get a proportion back depending on your income and taxation bracket.

Whether your receipt is for $2 or $2,000 it can quickly add up over the financial year.


You can store your receipts electronically by downloading the MyDeductions App from the ATO. Alternatively, you can store them on your phone or computer by taking a clear photograph or scanning them.


Just pop your receipts in your bag, wallet or purse. From here you can toss them into a folder every couple of days. If you want to write notes on the receipts make sure you don’t use a highlighter as it can fade the ink.

After you submit your Tax Return, make sure you keep the receipts for at least 5 years. This is so you can prove your claims if the ATO asks for them.

Stay tuned for Daily Hack 2 tomorrow or if you want all 7 now download our FREE EBOOK.




How to Contact us During Tax Time

During the busy tax season we try our best to answer any questions that you might have about your tax return. We want your questions answered as quickly as possible so please read below to see how you get the answers you need or the best way to contact us during the busiest time of the year!

Our Website

An oldie but a goodie, our FAQ section provides extensive answers to your questions. We also have an in-depth blog post  ‘Mr Tax Refund Most Common FAQ’s’ that focuses on the most common questions we receive during tax time.

Live Chat



You can speak to one of our team members directly! If we haven’t answered your questions through our FAQ section, then please send a message through to our Live Chat which is located on the top right corner of our website.

If Live Chat is offline, then please leave your details for a team member to get back to you.


Feel free to private message us with your 6 Digit Client ID number over our Mr Tax Refund Facebook Page and we can attend to your general questions. Please note for security and privacy reasons we are unable to disclose information that is specific to your tax return with Mr Tax Refund over Facebook.


You can email our team at support@mrtaxrefund.com.au but please include your 6 Digit Client ID. As it is our busiest time of the year please allow 1 to 3 working days for a reply.


Mr Tax Refunds Expands to the North of WA

Mr Tax Refund is helping hundreds of businesses and individuals over the busy tax season. Expanding to the North of Western Australia, you can speak to our dedicated tax accountant based in based in Pannawonica,

Pannawonica is an iron-ore mining town owned by Rio Tinto Iron Ore situated in the Pilbara region of Western Australia, near the Robe River, about 200 km south-west from Karratha and 1986 km North from Perth. Back in 2011, it was found that for a population of only 686 it had the highest median weekly income of any town in Australia. Connecting the fact that those who lived in the town were mine workers on a high income.

Our tax accountant in Pannawonica has a great relationship with small local business owners and FIFO companies and their employees who travel from all over Australia to work in this remote location.

Looking after tax returns from all over the Pilbara and Kimberley and assisting clients.

We are able to assist individuals and business that are based all over the Pilbara and Kimberely regions.

If you would like to know more about business specific tax information:

  • Income Tax Returns for Partnerships, Trusts and Companies,
  • Financial Statements including the preparation of monthly management accounts,
  • Management of financial records, payroll, superannuation and compliance requirements,
  • Business Activity Statements and Income Activity Statements,
  • Management Accounting including Forecasting, Budgeting and Financial Analysis
  • Business & Corporate Secretarial Services including Company Registration and Company Constitutions, share structure, change or remove company officers’ details, the lodgement of ASIC forms and the preparation of all documentation required.
  • Business start-ups including advice on the requirements when starting a new business such as entity structure and legislative requirements. Registration of Australian Business Number, GST
  • Tax planning – financial analysis and year-end planning to minimise tax liabilities for Individuals, Corporate Trustees and Companies

Find our Tax Store Locations

Contact Joy today to start your tax return.

Joy Francis
Tax Accountant
Mr Tax Refund Pannawonica
Mobile 0434 532 095




Tax Returns at Officeworks

With our Tax Stores propping up all over Officeworks, Stationery News has written about our tax services and how they can help you this financial year!

Get Started Today!

$99 Basic Tax Returns!

1. You Sign Up Online – It only takes 2 minutes and costs nothing,

2. You Send Tax Documents – You can either email/fax/SMS/mail them through to us,

3. We Organise Your Appointment, whether it’s over the phone or at one of our Tax Stores – whichever is more convenient for you.

4. You Maximum Refund Calculated! At the end of your appointment we email your documents to sign online and then we lodge them to the Tax Office.